Alton Brown's "Live or Let Diet" Lists
A handy reminder of Alton's food lists (with my thoughts added) from his Good Eats episode Live or Let Diet that I can pull up anywhere (home/work/grocery store)
Foods to eat Daily
- Fruits (Buff Smoothie provides a LOT - 4oz by weight each of frozen strawberries, blueberries, peaches, bananas, skim milk and grape fruit juice ~400 calories )
- Whole Grains (cereals and breads? What's a good option for lunches?)
- Leafy Greens
- Nuts (Almonds best, walnuts and macadamia nuts okay)
- Green Tea (ick - have to investigate a way)
Foods to eat at least 3 times a week
- Oily Fish
- Tuna (fresh only)
- Jack fish
- Orange roughy
- Sweet Potato
Foods to Eat Once a week
- Red meat (Oh, sweet jesus!)
NEVER eat these foods
- Fast Food (Fair enough)
- Soda (Club soda okay - mix with juice?)
- Processed meals/frozen dinners (sodium/fat/energy rich-nutrition poor)
- Canned soup (sodium)
- "Diet" anything (I agree)
Eat breakfast every day, no exceptions.
- Even if you follow these lists, you still have to concern yourself with portion size. If you go out for a steak, there is really no excuse for a cut bigger than 8 ounces. 4 or 6 would be better.
- If snacking on nuts, just one or two ounces at a go.
- If you make a mistake or overeat, don't quit. You're changing a lifestyle, so a mistake is part of the process not a reason to step off of the path.
- Exercise is still very important. Shoot for an hour of moderate/vigerous exercise at least 5x a week
- It will take a long, long time to get into shape.